If you own a BMW, especially after the 2020 models, you no longer need to use a key fob. Your compatible smartphone can be your key. You just have to hold your phone against the handle to unlock the door. The most amazing feature of this key is that you can share it with the other person.
Therefore, it is sometimes necessary to delete the shared or the main key. You can delete either the shared digital key or the main key (The main key is the key of the vehicle owner). This can be done via your smartphone or from iDrive. You just have to follow a few steps.
The detailed step-by-step process of deleting the shared and the main key will be discussed below.
- 1 What is the BMW Digital Key?
- 2 Deletion Of BMW Digital key ( Why It is sometimes Necessary)
- 3 Limitations of BMW Digital Key
- 4 How to Delete the shared Digital Key
- 5 How to delete the Main key
- 6 Benefits of Using BMW Digital Key Plus
- 7 FAQs.
- 7.1 What is the prerequisite to using BMW Digital Key?
- 7.2 What happens to the digital keys when I sell my vehicle?
- 7.3 How can I check if I can use the BMW Digital Key with my smartphone?
- 7.4 What are the compatible iPhones to use as digital key?
- 7.5 Which BMW Models are Compatible with The Digital Key?
- 8 Conclusion
What is the BMW Digital Key?
A digital key means a digital device that can be used just as a key. In this case, the digital device is your smartphone or your apple watch. It has many uses.
You can unlock, lock, or start the vehicle. You can also share the key with up to 5 people; On the other hand, you can restrict access to another person when necessary.
Deletion Of BMW Digital key ( Why It is sometimes Necessary)
Once you have the digital key and have shared it with another person, it may be necessary to revoke the shared BMW digital key.
For example, if you rent your car to someone for a few days, when the rent period is over, you may have to restrict the access of the key to this particular person. So they have no access to your car.
You could also sell the vehicle and remove the shared and the main keys.
Limitations of BMW Digital Key
In addition to the example I mentioned earlier, that says why you must remove the shared digital key or the main key. The BMW digital key has a few limitations as well. Especially if you have older models, recent models with digital key plus may be fine.
- No sensor on the passenger door
- When you unlock the driver-side door, you must touch the handle or go close enough with your smartphone.
- Also, to start the car, it is necessary to put the phone on the tray. However, once the car starts, you can remove the phone.
- Unlike a phone, While using an apple watch to unlock the car, it will not default to the driver’s profile.
Note: These limitations may not apply to the recent models. BMW Digital Key plus is more updated and offers more extended comfort functions. You do not have to take out the phone from the pocket to unlock it.
Also, the availability of function depends on many other factors such as app setting, model, and mobile device.
You can delete the shared digital key via the apple wallet app. Also, you can delete the shared digital key from the iDrive. Here is the step-by-step guide on deleting the key via the apple wallet app.
- Step 1: First, open your main key
- Step 2: Once you have opened the main key, select “more”
- Step 3: Once you have selected it, select the person you want to revoke and select “Revoke access.”
After everything is done, the shared key disappears from the respective iPhone. However, it remains pending and functional in another person’s iPhones for some safety reasons. It is only deleted only after another digital or physical key is used.
On the other hand, you can even delete the shared digital key Via iDrive. You can follow the step-by-step guide below.
- Step 1: Select the “Car” from the left corner
- Step 2: Once you select the car, you will be directed to another page where you will get the “Settings” option
- Step 3: Now select the door icons from the below. You will be directed to “Doors/Vehicle access.”
- Step 4: Select the delete key and the name you want to delete.
How to delete the Main key
Earlier, we deleted the BMW shared digital key. You can also delete the main key. The main key is the key of the vehicle owner. It can be done in 2 ways, either from the smartphone or from iDrive
- Step 1: First, you have to either Open Apple Wallet, Google Pay, or Samsung Pass App
- Step 2: Now navigate to Main II 11 Key
- Step 3: Choose 11 Remove This Car Key11 for iPhone Or 11 Delete Key11 for Google/ Samsung.
- Step 1: Navigate to Digital Key Menu
- Step 2: Select the desired key
- Step 3: Choose 11 Delete
Benefits of Using BMW Digital Key Plus
BMW digital key plus comes with extended comfort and functions. These include the following:
- Since your smartphone always stays with you, that means your vehicle’s key always stays with you
- Even if the phone is locked, it works. You do not have to take out the phone from the pocket
- Digital key functions are available even if the phone is accidentally shut off or the battery is empty.
- You can share the key via a simple text message.
Hopefully, by this point, many of your doubts regarding the digital key and how to delete it have disappeared. Here are some frequently asked questions that you may want to know.
What is the prerequisite to using BMW Digital Key?
If you want to use a digital key, your vehicle must have the following equipment. Detailed information is also available in the My BMW APP. You can also check out the vehicle requirements here.
– SA 6AE
– Comfort access (SA 322) For vehicles produced after the summer of 2020
– Comfort Access (SA 322) For the Vehicle produced after 2021
– BMW Digital Key (SA 3DK) For the Vehicle produced after 2021
– To use BMW Digital Key, your Vehicle must have Comfort Access (SA 322), and it should be produced at the end of 2021.
What happens to the digital keys when I sell my vehicle?
This is another reason why you must delete the digital key. Once someone has decided to sell his car, they must delete the key from his BMW ID before the car is handed over to the buyer.
How can I check if I can use the BMW Digital Key with my smartphone?
There are a few things you must look for to check if you can use the digital keys. The operating system: whether it is 7 or 8. With operating system 7, BMW requires Comfort Access (SA 322) with NFC technology.
What are the compatible iPhones to use as digital key?
BMW digital is compatible with several devices and iPhones, including Apple Watch Series 5, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2nd generation), iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max. Click Here For Smartphone requirements.
Which BMW Models are Compatible with The Digital Key?
Are your BMW compatible with digital keys? Well, if you have one of these models that will be produced after 2020, you are all set to go. X5, X6, X7, M5, M8, X5 M, X6 M, Z4, and 1-8 series are compatible with digital keys.
There you have it. Go keyless with your digital key. With a digital key and digital key plus, you can have your vehicle key on your smartphone. In another word, instead of the key fob, your smartphone is your key.
Another good aspect of the digital key is that you can share it with other people. This good point of the BMW digital key can be turned into a bad point, and you might have to delete the key.
Do not take too much time to do that. So finally, I suggest taking every advantage this key offers while being cautious about its inappropriate use.
- Read Also: How To Unlock A BMW with Keys Locked Inside? [Detailed Guide]
- Read Also: BMW Remote Key Not Detected | Here’s How To Fix The Issue
- Read Also: BMW Vehicle Key Battery Empty: Why & How To Deal With It?
- Read Also: What To Do If You Lose Your BMW Keys And Have No Spare?
- Read Also: BMW Control Arm Replacement Cost? (All Model Included)