The BMW Mirrors won’t unfold due to
- Faulty comfort access module which can be fixed by replacing the antenna, door handle sensor, or the entire module
- Damaged switch which can be fixed by replacing the switch
- Blown fuse which can be fixed by replacing the fuse
To get a clearer idea on the fixing process, keep reading this article.
- 1 How do BMW Power Mirrors Work?
- 2 Why Do BMW Mirrors Don’t Unfold? [With Solutions]
- 2.1 Bad Comfort Access Module:
- 2.2 Damaged Switch:
- 2.3 Blown Fuse:
- 2.4 Faulty Wiring:
- 2.5 Ice Formation:
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- 4 Conclusion
How do BMW Power Mirrors Work?
Before you try to diagnose and solve the problem related to BMW mirrors not unfolding, you need to know how these mirrors work. This can help you easily detect the source of the problem.
Power-folding mirrors instantly fold inward as you park, preventing unintentional damage. Power mirrors are designed to fold out automatically as you open the door.
The button on the inside of the driver’s door also allows you to adjust these side mirrors electrically. These mirrors are powered by motors that rotate the mirror up, downwards, and left or right from a hinge concealed by a power mirror casing.
These motors are responsible for moving the mirror in response to the driver’s commands on the power mirror controls.
Bonus: 6 Common BMW Fuel Pump Control Module Failure Symptoms.
Why Do BMW Mirrors Don’t Unfold? [With Solutions]
The table below shows the common reasons why BMW mirrors don’t unfold and how can someone fix this problem.
|Bad Comfort Access Module
|Replace the Comfort Access Module
|Replace the Antenna
|Malfunctioning Door Handle Sensor
|Replace the Door Handle Sensor
|Replace the Antenna
Bad Comfort Access Module:
When the Comfort Access module in a BMW is faulty, it can lead to issues with the mirrors not unfolding. One reason for this is interrupted signal transmission. The Comfort Access module plays a crucial role in sending and receiving signals to control the mirrors.
If the module is not working properly, it may struggle to transmit the necessary signal for unfolding the mirrors.
Another factor contributing to this problem could be the door handle sensor. This sensor is part of the Comfort Access system, and if it malfunctions, it may fail to detect the command to unfold the mirrors, resulting in unresponsive mirrors.
Finally, if the antenna is damaged then it will not communicate with the comfort access system properly and the mirrors will not unfold.
Solution: Replace the Door Handle Sensor
If you verify that the door handle sensor is the main reason behind this problem then just replace it.
To replace the door handle and sensor in your BMW, follow these steps:
- Take off the door panel by finding and removing screws and clips. Gently pry the panel away from the door frame.
- If the sensor is part of the door handle, remove the old handle. Install the new handle and, if needed, disconnect the door handle cable and any electrical connections.
- Put the door back together. Reattach the interior door handle and any other components, then reinstall the door panel. Now, your new handle with the integrated sensor should be in place and ready to go.
Solution: Replace Antenna
To change the antenna in your BMW as part of the Comfort Access system, follow these steps:
- Diagnose the issue: Before swapping out the antenna, figure out what’s causing the problem to make sure it’s the antenna that needs replacing.
- Locate the antenna: Comfort Access antennas can be found in different spots like the front bumper, trunk, or inside the car. Check your BMW model’s specific location.
- Disconnect the plug connection: Find the plug connected to the antenna and unplug it.
- Remove the antenna: Carefully take out the antenna. This might involve unscrewing or unclipping it from where it’s mounted.
- Replace the antenna: Get the right replacement antenna for your BMW model. Put the new antenna back where the old one was, and reconnect the plug.
- Test the system: After changing the antenna, test the Comfort Access system to make sure the issue is fixed.
Solution: Replace the Comfort Access Module
Following are the steps for replacing the comfort access module in your BMW
- Locate the module: Find where the Comfort Access module is situated. Usually, it’s in the rear luggage area on the passenger side, like in a 2011 BMW X6.
- Remove the module: Carefully take out the Comfort Access module from its spot. This might mean unscrewing or unclipping it from where it’s attached.
- Replace the module: Get the right replacement module for your BMW model. Put the new module in the original spot.
- Test the system: After swapping the module, test the Comfort Access system to make sure the problem is fixed.
Bonus: Read this to find out why the BMW wireless charger is not working.
One of the most common reasons for your BMW mirrors not unfolding is a damaged switch. The mirror control switch, which is frequently found close to the driver’s side of the dashboard, may occasionally cease functioning.
The mirror control switch is probably broken if it cannot move any mirror glass. Moreover, the mirrors cannot be adjusted up, downwards, left, or right when the switch is troublesome.
Solution: Replace the BMW Mirror Switch
When the mirror switch malfunctions, you can first try to open up the switch and clean the terminals for any dirt. If the switch still doesn’t work, you will need to replace the switch ASAP.
The cost of a new switch might vary from $80 to $300 depending on how many functions it does.
An electric motor hooked up to the vehicle’s battery drives the power mirror operation. Because the rear mirror is powered by electricity, the system has a fuse to avoid current overload that might harm other parts.
So, the fuse can be blown out when excessive current flows through the circuit and this happens mainly due to a short circuit. When this occurs your BMW mirrors won’t unfold or fold back.
Solution: Replace Fuse
Different years and models of the car can have the fuse in different positions. So, you will need to find out the fuse and you can refer to your car’s user manual to find the fuse and check if it is blown.
In case of a blown fuse, you will need to change the fuse with a new one. The replacement can cost between $3-$100, depending on whether you do it yourself or by a mechanic.
Bonus: Why Does the BMW Key Won’t Open the Door? [Mysteries Solved]
Power side mirrors in BMW are complicated systems that consist of both mechanical and electrical systems. These systems work together to make sure that the mirror folds and unfolds perfectly.
A motor attached to the automobile battery to draw electricity is one of several components that make up the electrical system and it consists of a lot of wiring.
So when there is faulty wiring in the system it can cause problems for the mirror to properly unfold as the system cannot draw power properly. Poor wiring often occurs as a result of overload.
It is not easy to fix electrical wiring issues on your BMW as the system contains many working parts. So, when this happens, the best option is to hire a mechanic to look at the complete electrical systems and fix any potential issues inside them.
Ice formation is not a common issue, and it only happens in areas where heavy snowfall occurs. So, when ice forms on your BMW mirror, it can jam the mirror moving mechanism, which can lead to problems when unfolding them.
Sadly, there isn’t much you can do while ice forms on the BMW mirrors; wait for the ice to melt down. However, if you are in a hurry, pour some boiling water over the mirror, and the ice will go away.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
How Do You Fold A BMW Side Mirror?
By pushing the folding switch on the driver’s door or pushing and holding the lock button on the key fob, you may fold the driver’s mirrors on your BMW. The rearview mirror may also be simply moved manually into the proper spot.
Is It Possible To Manually Unfold Power Folding Mirrors?
These mirrors may be manually moved by unfolding using the button on the driver’s side and gently pressing. As a result, it’s simple to fold and unfold these mirrors physically. However, the best option is to use the auto switch to operate these mirrors.
Can I Push Electric Wing Mirrors?
By using one of the mirror control switches, you can fold them in while you’re moving, but they typically only retract after the car is locked. The majority of them are folded and unfolded by hand.
In conclusion, the BMW mirror won’t unfold due to problems in the comfort access module or the switch itself. Sometimes even the fuse can be the problem. Overall, you can fix it by just replacing the components. Therefore, diagnose the problem properly and then replace the components.